Last weekend the mosquitoes made a strong appearance in Lake Tahoe and the swatting began. As soon as the sun began to set, they were out and they were ferocious! Although mosquito season is short lived in the Tahoe region, when they are out they are nothing short of nasty, so we thought we would share a homemade mosquito trap that will keep you and your loved ones from being blood donors this summer!
Homemade Mosquito Trap:
What you’ll need:
- 1 cup of water
- 1/4 cup of brown sugar
- 1 gram of yeast
- 1 2-liter bottle
- Cut the plastic bottle in half.
- Mix the brown sugar with hot water. Let cool. When cold, pour in the bottom half of the bottle.
- Add the yeast. No need to mix. It creates carbon dioxide, which attracts mosquitoes.
- Place the funnel part, upside down, into the other half of the bottle, taping them together if desired.
- Wrap the bottle with something black (mosquitoes are drawn to this color), leaving the top uncovered, and place it outside in an area away from your normal gathering area.
- Change the solution every 2 weeks for continuous control.
This trap is ingenious and is a great way to keep these flying monsters at bay. Enjoy the summer!
Call Dave Westall at (530) 448-9882, or email David@WestallRealEstate.com for other tips and tricks about the Lake Tahoe area.